Sunday, November 27, 2011

Chapter Five - Heat

The set of stairs stared back at me.  A long corridor in a depressing angle.  It was rather depressing if you think about it.  Cobwebs grew in crevices on the walls.  I stared into a deep (yet shallow) abyss.  Was Basil down there?  She had to be; I saw her go down there.  But I couldn't hear a sound from the basement.  The lights were  off, so she couldn't see...

All of a sudden, it happened.  It was fast and unexpected and it all happened in a matter of seconds.  Ear-piercing crashes filled the house.  I turned around and saw in a split-second what I had earlier feared: the campaign.  The windows shattered as torches flew through them.  A group of men burst through the door with angry expressions.  Their faces held a message: "You were warned."  One of the men pushed me down the stairs and locked the door.

I eventually reached the bottom of the steps, although I was bloody and bruised.  I could hear Raven from the top of the stairs.  I couldn't see anything, though.  I screamed for Basil.  Perhaps she could help me.  And herself...

A light flickered on and I immediately saw Basil - her face hollow and gaunt.  She looked horrific.  Basil fell to the ground.  I rushed to her side and immediately drew back.  Her body didn't feel...human.  It was hollow and light, like a snakeskin.  Perhaps she came down here to shed...  I brushed off that thought and wondered if she was dead.  She had to be...

The smoke was starting to suffocate me by this point and I knew I would choke to death soon if I didn't get out of here soon.  The struggle upstairs must have moved to the forest outside, as I could no longer hear anything.  Or... They hadn't killed Raven, had they?  I had two reasons to leave the house immediately.  It wasn't until I started to climb the steps that I truly realized how injured I was.

I must have had multiple broken bones, not to mention that I was bleeding heavily from several places on my body.  I was covered in blood, and the floor was too.  I had to get help.  I crawled up the steps slowly and reached for the doorknob.  It was locked.  I cursed the government.  Not only were they destroying villages, they were purposefully stealing the lives of their residents!

I breathed heavily - I could almost feel the ash lining my lungs.  I seized all the power I could and bashed my shoulder against the door.  One two three four five six seven eight nine tries and the cracked door yielded.  Now I was out of the pan and into the fire.  I still had to make it out of the house.  Fire greeted me like an old friend as soon as I peeked out the new opening.  I mustered up strength and headed through.

I felt myself burning.  I made it to the door.  Perhaps it was just an opening created by the flame, but I took it anyway.  The forest offered no respite - it was burning as well.  I couldn't make it.  Pain overtook me and I fell into darkness.

Moments later, or either days later, my eyes opened to the sight of Raven.  We were on a carriage, and we rode through the night.  "Did you...save me?"  I let out a cough.  Everything hurt - no, burned - as I moved.  Raven nodded.  I mustered up the strength to file another inquiry.  "And did Basil...die?"

"Yes.  And no.  I don't think that was Basil after all.  I've received a letter telling me to go to a certain sector."

"More travel?"  I tried to fake a grin.  I must have fallen asleep, now content.

The next time I awoke I was in a strange building.  Raven said it was a "hospital."  They did something over the course of a few days to rejuvenate me.  I felt completely normal afterwards, albeit a bit drowsy.  We set out again to Basil's house.  Or were we?  I'm not very sure anymore.  Will this person be Basil?  I was doubtful.  Basil was becoming more and more a myth with every passing moment.  Had I noticed her before my return to the village?  No.  Perhaps she was an illusion conjured up by my mind wishing for my little village to not be all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment