Saturday, November 12, 2011

Chapter Two - Flight and Fright

It was beautiful.  I only had seconds to suck in the serene wonder of this new world I had stepped into.  It was unlike anything I had ever seen before - indescribable.  If I could go back today, I would.  The trek up here was worth it.  I had a few seconds of perfection before it was shattered.  I gazed into the next compartment over and in it stood a ghostly silhouette.  It seemed pleased that I had made it up here.  It must be the master of the arena.  But the figure in the other box felt familiar...

As the misty figure slowly started to take form, I broke into a run.  However, I had nowhere to run.  I couldn't go down.  There was no way down.  The room I was in now had no escape, either.  You could see through either side wall and the wall facing into the arena was completely open.  What would I do?  Before I could think of an escape, the figure in the other box broke into a run towards me.  Terror overtook me, but I couldn't do anything but watch in horror at the acts committed next.

The wall between the two boxes smashed.  It was the biggest shattering, ear-wrenching sound ever.  My terror turned to pain.  My ears hurt so much that they could be bleeding.  All of a sudden the figure came into focus.  It looked like a man, but at the same time it looked eerily like a... bird.  The long, black cloak led up to its face where there sat a mask that cemented the possibility of it being nonhuman.  All of a sudden I realized I knew this person, from a time a long time ago... "Raven," I gasped.

"I'm surprised that you remember me, friend."  I couldn't move.  I was petrified.  It was him.  I had to get out of here... But how?

"You seem scared.  Is it me that you're scared of?  Why ever would you be scared of me?"  I could feel the sneer below his mask.  Then it happened.  All of a sudden, all of the boxes were gone.  They didn't just disappear, either.  They crumbled quickly and violently.  I, along with the debris from Eden, was falling.

Raven regained his title.  He seemed to be flying towards me.  His flying always had an elegant and mystic sort of feel to it.  Way back then, when I didn't know him as personally, everyone believed he practiced dark magic.  Looking back, they were probably right.  His flight seemed to last hours, but it couldn't have lasted longer than a few seconds.  I was, after all, falling towards my doom.  He eventually grabbed me.  I felt safe with him.  He had a higher authority with the world than I did.  "They tried to kill us..." he murmured.

I knew he wasn't going to allow himself or I to end our lives just yet.  The falling became gentle as soon as he grabbed me.  We calmly blew over to the side of the stadium, like a leaf in the autumn.  We landed on of the seats I had so desperately been climbing just a bit earlier.  "Safe..."  I said what I felt.  Honestly, I don't even remember if I said it aloud, but there was an intense feeling of that word.  Safe.

"You are always safe with me." Raven said.  I felt happy.  I didn't feel the joy I had felt for those few precious seconds in the skybox, but at that moment, sitting on the seats of the arena with Raven, I felt legitimately happy.  "Are you ready to go?" Raven said after a moment or two.

"Go?  Where would we go, Raven?" I asked.

"We need to visit Basil."  Basil... I remembered Basil.  Why would we need to visit Basil?  "Don't worry about the 'why,' worry about your situation."  Raven was reading my mind, and I knew he was right.  Let's go then.  I stood up and the bird I was beside did as well.  It was time for a new page in the book of my life, but this time I wouldn't be alone.

"I don't want to be alone again..." I said.

"You'll never be alone again."

No comments:

Post a Comment