Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chapter Six - Feeling Fragile

Tired.  That's all I remember.  I lied in Raven's arms for days.  Weeks.  I couldn't get up.  Weak.  That's the word for it.  The hospital hadn't cured me.  I was constantly coughing up blood.  It was an awful existence.  I couldn't fall asleep.  I don't remember why not.  There must have been something important my mind had created for me to stay up for.

But I couldn't.  All I could possibly do was be alive, lying on Raven.  And the rain.  I almost forgot about it.  It rained all day.  It was a miserable kind of rain that would not wash the pain away, but push it back into your body.  I writhed.  How much could I take?  Raven never moved or spoke.  He just sat there as I laid there.  He made me feel fragile.  Fragile is a delicate term, but almost a powerful and miserable one.  I felt like I was boxed in and couldn't move.

Or maybe I was paralyzed.  That was a better explanation.  But I wasn't.  Why was this happening?  Despair is all I could feel.  I wanted to die.  Or scream.  Or make someone else feel the pain along with me.  They deserved it.  This world is messed up.  I made a wish that everyone would die.  Why should I be the only one to die a slow death.  Certainly that is what this was...

I fell.  I don't remember what point this was, but I was bleeding and writhing in black dirt, alone.  I screamed.     The pain was immense.  I heard the clashing and banging of metal.  We had been attacked.  The horse was really scaring me.  It was running around everywhere.  Its screams frightened me.  I didn't want to die by getting trampled to death.

I screamed as the horse ran inches away from me.  I looked up and saw Raven and a man dueling.  The other man was bloody.  The next minutes went swiftly as Raven killed the man.  I was shocked.  I didn't know Raven was so... prepared for murder.  He picked me up without a word.  I tried to mouth "it hurts," but I don't think he noticed.  Even if he did, he didn't care.  Blood was on his hands now, and he wanted to visit Basil to wash it off.

I noticed I had woken up.  When I fell asleep is a mystery.  I had the strength to talk.  "Raven..."

"Hm?" he gruffly replied.

"How could you kill somebody?  Do you regret it?" I inquired weakly.

"What's done is done.  These "regrets" will eat you alive if you decide to keep them as pets."

I wanted to be happy.  Why can one not find happiness?  My life is miserable.  "Raven...Are you happy?"

He cleared his throat and his faced showed an expression I wouldn't expect from him.  "Yes.  I am happy.  I will be happy for you when you're not.  You have to promise to do that for me as well, correct?"

I giggled.  This was stupid.  I didn't have any time to think before I realized I was asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment